Tuesday, October 12, 2010

15- Kids, woman, yoga, work, dishes, insomnia, friends, parents, yard-work, house repairs.

Its been too long. Its been about a week, no, six days since I have blogged.  I have learned a lot about myself, about yoga and about priorities.

In no particular order, kids, woman, yoga, work, dishes, insomnia, friends, parents, yard-work and house repairs take my waking moments. I find it funny that yoga classes are a joy to attend and yet writing the blog stumps me.  I've been to three classes since my last writing and have reasons that I have not written, all of which are in the title.

But, I have practiced. I have grown and I have loved my experience.  I have gained in my flexibility and strength. I have gained focus.

Both my parents are English majors and have been in education their entire careers. They have both taught English, writing, reading, grammar and whatever other disciplines in the language are offered at any level.

Yes, school was important when I was younger. I was never a straight "A" student by a long shot, but I always succeeded in writing, reading, grammar etcetera (never spelling though). One would think I would have no trouble writing my yoga blog with my background.

Nope, it actually is difficult for me.  I find that where once I succeeded, I now have a self conscious streak. I'ts quite odd.  I can stand dripping with sweat with am entire room full of 20somethings who are bendi-flexi-fit-and-friendli and not really think much of what they must think of me. Yoga is just that kind of a place.  In the settings I have been fortunate enough to practice, all the people in the room are just glad to be there with you.

When I write about yoga, I am not concerned that you may know I was having a rough time. I am not concerned that you know I am sweaty and stinky. That I look like Gene Wilder on a bad hair day.

I am concerned that I have your attention and that I have a compelling story that may encourage you to well being. My nakedness is before you in the text and it is not the content, but the delivery that makes me blush.

I have learned that yoga, at least on the mat, is a very safe place free of judgement.  As I look at others in graceful poses I no longer think, 'I'll never do that.' I simply see the pose and think of the commitment to the practice that person has. To connect to the commitment that has brought them to that pose.

And when I see someone new to class, maybe struggling,  I have a similar set of thoughts.  I simply see them and think of the circumstances that have brought them to this place and their steps to commitment. I connect to the commitment that has brought them to the mat.

So what stops me from flowing in my writing?  Perhaps nothing. Its possible that I have a vinyasa flow but am just too busy in my monkey mind to allow my blogging to just be. To give the same grace that yoga gives me on the mat is one gift I would like.

Tonight in yoga at Namaspa the instructor, Susie brought another nugget of wisdom to the room. As we were flipping over from a plank pose (the starting position of a push up) to a flipped, three legged dog, (think hips off the ground towards the sky, both feet on the ground, one hand reaching up and one down to support the upper body) she said.." its crowded in here tonight so feel free, as you 'flip your dog' to place your foot on your neighbors mat. Just don't step on their foot."

The gift of yoga is starting to spill off the mat. I promise, I'll be mindful as to not step on anyones toes.

Namaste-

1 comment:

  1. I love it. I feel the exact same way sometimes - it's hard to convey the passion and gracefulness one might feel in the moment onto paper. I suppose that is the difference between successful authors and those less so - the ability to make the reader feel.

    You, dear Yogi, are a successful author as I can feel your words, and that my friend, is everything.

    ReplyDelete