Tuesday, November 2, 2010

17 - Yogandhi

Each time I am at yoga, I learn something new.  More often than not, it’s about my body.

“Oh Look”, I say to myself, “My ankles really are kind of week.  Look at them quiver and collapse as I try to stand on the ball of one foot while contorted like a package of sillybands.” “I am starting to get really strong in my shoulders from all this downward dog.” “My hamstrings are finally loosening up, I am stoked!”

(Caution: Shallow, verging on judgmental and immature musings ahead.)

Then there was today’s revelation. A young lady behind me was watching me go up into a headstand. Covered in sweat, my shirt flopped downward over my face and practically suffocated me.  My graceful headstand was over after the homicidal attempt of the sweat-mop. As I turned around, she smiled at me with a small smirk. Back to the mat I went.

After class she approached me and said, "that’s all right, in a few weeks of class your belly will be gone and you won’t sweat so much."
.
.
.
.
.
.
Really, did she just say that?

I was shocked, embarrassed, mortified and then I laughed.  

I have a belly.  Yes, a bit… but really, only a little bit. I thought it was so damn funny that her perception was how my belly or my sweatyness was of concern to me.  Sure, I suppose it was a bit. Clearly not as much as the lack of oxygen from the stank-sponge and the possibility that in my blinded crumpling from headstand to the mat that I might accidentally kick/hurt/topple someone.
 
She was quite concerned about my belly and my sweat.  I’ll work on that for ya sistah!

(End of Caution Zone)

Just before bellydonna (slipped that one in!) shared her depth with me, I received a pointer from Gerry Lopez.  For those who don’t know who Gerry  is, let me give you the Cliffs Notes.  He is an Internationally known surfer, an entrepreneur, a really cool cat and a man who has been doing yoga since 1969.  He is the ultimate testament of what yoga can do for you to keep you strong, flexible and vibrant in every phase of your life.  He is my yogandhi.

He asked if he could give me some pointers on my upward facing dog.  Of course, like an excited puppy, I said sure. He corrected a few of my alignments that would make the asana better, deeper… easier.

The pose begins prostrate, flat on your belly. Then, with your hands under your shoulders, push your torso upwards so just the tops of your feet are on the mat and your hands are directly aligned under your shoulders.

Gerry said I was looking to the sky rather than having a soft gaze straight ahead and my shoulders were pitched ahead of my hands.  This misalignment would create more stress and less stretch.

Who was I to argue? This is my yogahero and I was thrilled to take his gift to heart. When your heroes talk, just listen, consider and obey.

Gerry didn't say a word about my belly or my sweat. He appeared glad to be there, and glad to offer an observation.  Thats what its all about.

Namaste-

3 comments:

  1. Bellydonna pointed those things out because those are the things on herself that she worries about. She was projecting. It's weird the things that we think other people give a shit about. We are usually wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for trying out the headstand! I have always been too intimidated (for lack of a better word) by them AND the people that can do them!! Maybe I will try one next class...thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My beer belly would've been hanging out too. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete